Author Topic: wrong size powerize  (Read 10392 times)

Offline godisaman

wrong size powerize
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:25:20 PM »
so here's the craic, my missus got me a pair of stilts for xmas, but she guessed my weight, wrong as it turns out by about 10 kilos, now allowing for the fact that the recommondation is to get stilts 10 kilos heavier than my actual weight i now got stilts which are for someone 20 kilos above my weight....will this make a huge difference or should i try and send them back for smaller ones? any help would be appreciated cos im putting off using them till i know if i need to try and send them back

Dark Knight

Re: wrong size powerize
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
Nothing wrong with 20Kg over.
You will find it harder to start bouncing as the spring will not flex as much.
But stick with it and you may be thankfull for the extra power  :)
Lots of people go 20kg over ( some a lot more  8)  ).

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:42:42 PM »
Hello & welcome to the forum.

Like DK said you will be fine on them, you will need to put a bit more effort into it iniatially but will get a better responce from them.

The learning curve is very short so you'll be jumping high soon enough!

Most importantly have fun & make sure you have your safty gear on :)

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »
im on PR70-90s i only way 50 KGs and i am doing fine im still pulling off really nice tricks like spring grabs u will just need to break them in and put a tad more effort in and u will b rewarded with some nice height there is a good thing to it that u wont be bottoming out to easily so thats a bonus

and welcome to the community if u have any more questions just AAsk :)

Carl

Offline godisaman

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »
nice one guys, you all just saved me some very expensive postage+packing, now to get terrorizing the streets

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »
Good Luck & have fun  :)

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Hey, I was wondering if I should swap my power jumps.

I have a really powerful jump since I do long-jump, parkour and gymnastics. I can tic-tac over my own head-height (hope you know what that means), and in a test we did at Uni on a force pad, I had the highest jump.

The model I have are 10kg above my weight as the dealer suggested... but according to most of you, strong legs may need a model at least 20kg higher. I read that some of you have 30kg higher.

I haven't used them outside yet so I could take them back no questions asked. Do you think I should do that? I aim to be jumping very high on these things... and I won't be able to simply buy a new pair in a few months if i need to as I don't have much money.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Neo.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:01:43 PM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »
I think as a beginner you should be fine on these. We sponsor some lads from Team 101 who have a similar background to yourself and most only got 10kg above, as recommended and get great height and most haven't felt the need to go 20 or 30kg.

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »
Ok thanks. I'll stick with these then. :) I perfomed in the Opening Ceremony of the European Athletics Championships with members of team101. They're good guys. :D

But is it common for advanced members to upgrade to a heavier weight category spring?
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
Sometimes, it really depends how you do your tricks, if you know Timmo from Team 101 or John they kinda stick to the 10kg but Ian likes to go 20kg more becuase he runs into his tricks (I think thats what he told me lol)

To be honest only you will be able to tell once you get into it, depending on how you get on with your first set.

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »
Afraid I don't know those guys. I met Khan, Drew, Buster and someone.

Could you give me Ian's address please? :)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
pm'ed it to u

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if I should swap my power jumps.

I have a really powerful jump since I do long-jump, parkour and gymnastics. I can tic-tac over my own head-height (hope you know what that means), and in a test we did at Uni on a force pad, I had the highest jump.

The model I have are 10kg above my weight as the dealer suggested... but according to most of you, strong legs may need a model at least 20kg higher. I read that some of you have 30kg higher.

I haven't used them outside yet so I could take them back no questions asked. Do you think I should do that? I aim to be jumping very high on these things... and I won't be able to simply buy a new pair in a few months if i need to as I don't have much money.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Neo.

Actually, no I dont....please expand

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »
The tic tac is a parkour move designed to propel you ove a wall without the use of your hands. Usually performed where two walls meet to make a right angle. You run towards the corner, then kick off one of the walls to propel yourself over the other without touching it

I can do this over a 6ft wall.

I wonder if that would work on pro-jumps. I've seen a wall-flip. :)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »
sounds cool, have you got a vid of you in action doing that it would be cool to see?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 10:23:39 PM »
Sure would be!

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »
Sorry Spud and Webmaster, I'm afraid I don't have any clips of tic tacs... oh wait, actually there are a few clips of me doing tic-tacs in the London Vid. There not my highest, but there's a slow-mo shot of me doing a long tic-tac to something.

This is from a big London Jam earlier this year. It's not a showcase of people's best moves. Just a fun document of the trip. :D It looks best on the download version since parts were filmed in Widescreen, and the Youtube version makes everything look smaller.

1st tic-tac at 2:49 (Blink and you'll miss that one) This one's pretty casual because the wall is slightly sloped.

2nd tic-tac at 4:07 This one's pretty low, but further than it seems in the vid.

Best one is at 4:31, gotta love the slow motion.

http://norwichparkour.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1203417270&page=1

I linked you there so you can choose either the Download or You-tube.
I can do it a lot higher, and also kick off two opposing walls to go even higher.

The next vid is just of me. Clips from over the past three years. Again, not my best stuuf because I can't get my camera clips to work on Movie Maker. The clips are all taken from other people's group videos that I was in.

Like I said, not my best moves... but it makes me happy to watch for some reason. ;D I think it's the nostalgia. :D

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 12:27:49 AM »
Whatever still looks pretty good to an old git like me
Grow old disgracefully

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
same here thought it was wicked, downloaded the other one I see what you mean now it looks wicked and nope don't think ive seen that done on jumping stilts.

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
and nope don't think ive seen that done on jumping stilts.

I guess you know what you're doing tomorrow then. ;)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 01:13:37 AM »
yep hopefully watching a vid of you attempting that on stilts :biggrin:

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 01:20:51 AM »
Haha! erm... maybe in a few weeks. As soon as the summer holidays start I'll begin putting a video together. :) Then maybe I can enter a worst injuries competition! ;D lol. ...touch wood! :-X ...I shouldn't have said that. I'd better wear pads. :)

I look forward to seeing someone else doing them though. PK on pro-jumps has got to be the way forward! ;D I've seen people do a few vaults on them. But there's more to be explored I feel. :) All excited now! :laugh:

Offline Flimda

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
Ahaaaa.......
Just to kind of get back to the topic, my Bocks are for 30kgs heavier than me. They are not bouncing me very high (I go them about a month and a half ago) as they are still wearing in. Any tips to speed up the process/bounce higher/bounce better?
Normally, I would just wait for them to go naturally, however when you're 14, there's no point to them if you cant show off a bit ;D

James.

Dark Knight

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
Ahaaaa.......
Just to kind of get back to the topic, my Bocks are for 30kgs heavier than me. They are not bouncing me very high (I go them about a month and a half ago) as they are still wearing in. Any tips to speed up the process/bounce higher/bounce better?
Normally, I would just wait for them to go naturally, however when you're 14, there's no point to them if you cant show off a bit ;D

James.

You don't say what you are but unless your real big 30Kg is a hard for someone learning  :-\
If you stick with it you should find you will get more bounce in the end but it will be harder for you ?
Why did you get that size ?

I'm 110Kg and 30Kg would be fine for my but if you are 60Kg then you will find it hard.
( I've got a pair 80Kg over size  :o )

Offline Flimda

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »
 I got that size because I'm only 14 and therefore still growing, and did not want to have to buy new Bocks in a hurry (to someone who's 14 its one helluva lot of money). But anyway, is any way to speed up the breaking in (of the springs, not me), or at least jump higher?

James.