Author Topic: MY BOCKS BROKE HELP HELP HELP  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Wally247

MY BOCKS BROKE HELP HELP HELP
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:43 AM »
My Bocks seem to have broken at the IBz gym meet on sunday.

I only found out on tuesday though when i had my brother on them lol so realy glad he didnt damage himself...

OK so this is whats happened

the black bracket that attaches the spring to the spring support has broken..

i bottom them out occasionaly but only ever the right spring and bot brackets have broken in the same place....

so errr what do i do??

pleas help 

:biggrin:

-sad calum

:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
Re: MY BOCKS BROKE HELP HELP HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
You send an email or ring projump
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »
Greg's did that and somebody else's too..You can get the part just worth foning to see if you can get it under warrenty.

Have these parts changed because all the people who have broken these have been on the new gen projumps?

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »
Looks like cutting out the bit between the two bolts is a bad idea ?

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »
Dont worry about it wally just ring pro jump and ask bout it on wanranty or buy new 1s if u want it dun fast thats wat i did but it cost me a fiver for each 1 u have to ring up because they are not on the sight. it is not a verry big part to replace just a bit anoing and fiddaly

no worrys Greggles

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
If its under warranty - should be 12 months for the frame - they'll be replaced free.

Just a note, this same part on 7's doesnt have the gap between the two holes and I beleive makes it a much stronger part.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »
Seems strange that a few of these have gone in the last few weeks up until recently I had only seen 1 broken and none of mine have gone (3 sets)

Might have been a bad batch at the factory

As for the cut out bit I think it's to save weight and Powerskips are the same if anything the ones Iv'e seen on Skips are even thinner than the PJ ones

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Wally247

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
ok guys thanks for all the help
i phoned projum and they asked for pics so i sent them the ones in the origingal post...
then they emailed me back telling me that it was covered for 3monts form purchas and that they would send them out to me

THANK YOU PROJUMP :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

so i should be bocking by next week yay

-Calum now a happy almost bocker
:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
My old PJ's don't have holes and I can't that is save that much weight !?
Stick a tire sock on them and you've added more weight the hole saves  :-\

Offline hazzo11

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 08:15:08 PM »
Umm.. i got the new gen bocks does that mean mine might break?
Thank you and Good Night!

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »
What? No welder?  :kidding:  :biggrin: You did the right thing. Looks like the brackets you broke were made from low quality steel as they've fractured at a stressed point,right on the bend. Metal's funny stuff sometimes and the fatigue's already built in at a molecular level when it's bent into shape..... :rolleyes:

-Nobby

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »

Yes, any bocks might "break". Springs can break, bushing almost certianly wear out. Things time to time need replacing. I have new gen bocks (and old ones) and I am not worried at all.

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 08:22:56 PM »

Maybe....Just depends on the sheet of steel that the part(s) were pressed out of....

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »

Maybe....Just depends on the sheet of steel that the part(s) were pressed out of....

Nobby, loads of people have the new gen bocks and no problems. Could be a bad batch or just a coincidence. Saying things like this causes more problems and makes people worry when they dont need to. Look. We know you know your stuff. Technical things...

Find out what steel it was pressed from and then say something but here. They only point in the above post was to prove you know what you were talking about and make people worry..I doubt it was deliberate.

Please think a little about how things you say could effect people.

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »
Whoa! Point taken Spud! Not my intention to make anyone panic! I've been an engineer for too long I guess..... :-[ :-[  Apologies....

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »
Na sorry Nobby. That was quite harsh. I could have maybe put it better just to those who arn't engineers that could be scary..and Hazzo already seemed worried.

What things do you make or fix?

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 12:30:01 PM »
Hey,no worries Spud! For the last 10 years I've been a locksmith and safe engineer,before that I used to work in a machine shop making car parts,before that I was a mechanic, I've worked with metal for a looonngg time! :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Have a great day kiddo! :thumbs: Do a bit of bocking for me will ya? I gotta work all weekend :'(.....

-Nobby

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
when you bottom out the stilts its this piece of metal your rubber stopper hits, this is what causes them to bend, i think its just one of them parts you will have to replace on any brand depending on your technique.
as stated the parts are not very expensive and they dont go all the time, but the stress that your stilts endure ensures you will need spares, same as a mountain bike.
I agree that the 7's bracket seems over all a lot stronger though, they the same size as this gen pj's do you know locky?

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 02:20:45 AM »
The bracket only breaks after a lot of bottoming out, this is one of them parts that everyone should be checking on a regularly basis, if you find they are bending etc then thats the time to replace them, don't wait for your bocks to break before you do some repairs if regularly pre and post use checks are done then breaks wouldn't occur and would make your bocking experience a lot safer. The 7's ones do look stronger but like jason has mentioned other brands do have a similar design and work well too. The amount of people actually breaking them is and extremely low percentage, however worry not it is something Ive already mentioned to the manufacturer and hopefully it will get better  :)

Offline bobw

• EA Bocker
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 07:52:35 AM »
I can safely say I have never bottomed out, and my brackets have both cracked, my top brackets have also started to bend slightly.(I do weigh 16 stone though).What I have noticed though is the foot bolt has a smaller diameter than the internal of the tube, which means if the bolt is slightly loose the bracket will actually hit the ally foot,what it needs is a tube with a smaller internal diameter. I have made a temp fix by covering the bent/cracked brackets with a piece of 1/8 plate, I am waiting for my mate to come back off hols, then we will be making some stronger brackets,also sorting out the small bolt problem.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »
correct me if i am wrong, but pj's are made of a low carbon steel and most other ones are made out of stainless? or my 7 & powerisers are.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
Got the brackets off a set of Skips they are mild steel

Checked a set of powerisers and PJ's and they are both mild steel

I thought the 7's that I had for a short while (long story) were sheradised or matt chrome on mild steel (looks like stainless but either rougher or shinier) but I can check Clives with a magnet tomorrow

Magnets don't stick to stainless steel (except some stainless irons but you wouldn't want to use that  :biggrin:)

I weighed 18st when I started and now about 17st bottomed my first set out for about 3 weeks when the springs wore out and am still using the brackets on another set of springs (120kgs) so I can only assume a few dodgy ones have got through quality control

Jason  :Hoofies2: