Author Topic: School project, help if you can...?  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
School project, help if you can...?
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
I've been given permmission to make a pair of bocks for my D&T this year, but was wondering whether i could get some help.

To make them i need to be able to work to the same standards as actual bocks, so it would be helpful if i could get a copy of all the rules and regs that bocks have 2 adhere 2.

It may also be helpful to get a copy of the original bocks' technical drawings (blueprint type stuff), so can can work parts that im not gonna change from these.

If you can help, you'll be getting me my A levels on track, so any takers? or givers would be better.

oh and anything else that mite be helpful would be appreciated, so if you think you can help, though i dont think i need help wit the designing in general, you may still have some helpful ideas

pre-emptive thanks

Hilly

Offline theonlysilenthunter

Re: School project, help if you can...?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
The major point to make them usable is that they aren't too heavy!! I don't know if you'll get the blueprints but just measuring up a pair should be enough?? I would have real doubts though as to the strength of the bocks, might not last as long as you hope they might. The bocks on sale would have been through rigourous testing to find weak points etc. Pro jump aren't gonna give this information away lightly. Although i can see this would be a very fun project and wish i would have known about these when i was doing DT, i still would have had my doubts about using them.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:52:25 PM »
http://www.google.com/patents?id=bvgQAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#PPA2,M1
May help a little. Also took on the jump-up french forum, someone built their own bocks on there, may be worth emailing them and asking how they did it.

I don't think you'll be able to make the springs yourself...

Offline PowerJoe

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
holy cow, that is gonne be one hard DT project. Good luck, post us some pics on the development of the project  :thumbs:

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 12:27:30 PM »
The major point to make them usable is that they aren't too heavy!! I don't know if you'll get the blueprints but just measuring up a pair should be enough?? I would have real doubts though as to the strength of the bocks, might not last as long as you hope they might. The bocks on sale would have been through rigourous testing to find weak points etc. Pro jump aren't gonna give this information away lightly. Although i can see this would be a very fun project and wish i would have known about these when i was doing DT, i still would have had my doubts about using them.

not too heavy is the point, i'm including that in my spec, measuring dont show internal pieces, and i dont want to have to take a whole pair apart then not be able to put it together again, and strength should be fine, i will test parts before use from a safety aspect, and i've got no doubts about using them - because chocl8's trying them first, lol

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bvgQAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#PPA2,M1
May help a little. Also took on the jump-up french forum, someone built their own bocks on there, may be worth emailing them and asking how they did it.

I don't think you'll be able to make the springs yourself...

that site will help in my research pages, but i havent checked the french thing yet, but this is really useful, thanks and im not making the springs, though its possible with the rite mould and a fibre glass kit sorta thing, but i just gonna use ma old 70's for measuring stuff, but i eventually wanna put some t rex, or S rex springs on it

And yes joe it will be hard, but sooooo worth it when im turning even you guys' heads, lol!!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
Well sounds liek you know what you are doing but it is some project...let us know how it goes..Superbocks :D

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
well i got an idea about what i should do with my old bocks is that i should make air boks
have air rams insted of a spring

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »
i dont want to have to take a whole pair apart then not be able to put it together again
I don't know why everyone is so petrified of taking their bocks apart, i've stripped both mine down to all the individual spare parts and rebuilt them, takes about 45 mins each way, and they are actually a really simple construction.

Here is the thread on the french forum ash was refering too:

http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://rise-up.heberg-forum.net/ftopic18-0-asc-0.html
Cheers Rich :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:40:57 PM by sprog »

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »
great feedback, thx guys, but i cud really do with the specs on the safety issues, what regs they adhere to, that kind of thing - help if u can, please

Thx

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
A couple of things you might want to keep in mind Hilly is that a lot of the aluminium bits are custom extrusions or pressings

The problem with making these bits is that Ally tends to stress fracture if bent without being annealed first and there are tables of radius sizes for different thicknesses of Ally

You should have no problems with all the turned bits (asuming you have access to a lathe) if you need any sizes or advice I have made new bushes and tubes for my bocks and I also bent up a set of knee hoops for my first set of Cuffs (I didn't want to cut up the real ones  :biggrin:)

As far as specs and safety are concerned so long as you copy the thicknesses and use good quality materials you should have no problems

One very important point if you decide to change anything look at it long and hard to see why they did it that way as you could cause a problem that the manufacturer has solved in the past

I think you have a very big hill to climb (no pun intended  :biggrin:) with this project so good luck and if you come up against a problem you can't solve feel free to ask if I can help I will  :thumbs:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
thanks, but i kinda need the regs so that i can show how iv stuck to it, and i might have to send it off to get annealed at an engineers, but i just found out as well that the ratchets i want dont exists, so i gotta make 4 of those by myself too, i need to design every piece then send them off to be laser cut
  :'(
*sighs*

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »
I don't think that any regulations have been made for Bocks as there is basicly one patent holder and several manufacturers and for good reason all  technical specs would be kept inhouse an guarded very closely (don't whant someone ripping them off do they  :biggrin:)

If you do a search on all the bocking sites someone did post the Patent somewhere once or just search the patents office that should get you a lot of info

I have got a few insights into the bushing materials used by the various manufacturers as I sent some bits off to be tested to find why some wear quicker than others so I could replace them with the best type

If it's the type of alloys they are made of your best bet is to chat to a good engineer (as I did) and he/she will suggest materials to use or have a look at what the originals are made of and you can use that

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »
I think this project is aboslutly crazy! I wouldnt be able to do it in a million years! You are awesome..keep us posted on progress  :thumbs:

One question. How much do you expect making these will cost you?

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »
I think this project is aboslutly crazy! I wouldnt be able to do it in a million years! You are awesome..keep us posted on progress  :thumbs:

One question. How much do you expect making these will cost you?
lol, thx, but i not awesome i just need the grade cos an A and 2 Bs will get me a scholarship at the universtity i want, or 2 As and a C

i think i'll spend about £30 on aluminium - i did last time and i used more then, i already got springs and some ally bar, so that free, and i got sum tire to do the feet with, plus £20 on steel and webbing for the ratchets, which ive been working on how 2 make from scratch, and if i get the pieces lasercut then that should be fine, but i may have to pay for that too, so probly £70 i think, but i get £50 from the school - little reparations considering how much we pay them!!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
Thats not all that bad...I thought it would cost quite a bit more since not mass producing.

I hope you get grades you need  :thumbs:

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
Thats not all that bad...I thought it would cost quite a bit more since not mass producing.

I hope you get grades you need  :thumbs:

:spudT:
Good luck with your project. When you build your own it funny how simple the normal design is when you break it down !?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:53:49 PM by Dark Knight »