Author Topic: Scientists One Step Closer to Creating Invisibility Material  (Read 10259 times)

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
Scientists One Step Closer to Creating Invisibility Material
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:13:31 PM »
Scientists One Step Closer to Creating Invisibility Material

Scientists One Step Closer to Creating Invisibility MaterialScientists from the University of California, Berkeley, say they have come very close to developing cloak which could make people and objects invisible. They performed a demonstration of the invisible cloak, created from synthetically engineered materials, which are able to change the direction of light around three dimensional objects.

It is worth mentioning that previously scientists were able to create a material that can make invisible only two dimensional objects.

Xiang Zhang together with his colleagues at the university is going to release their discovery later this week. The results of the research will be published in the journals Nature and Science.

The finding could be widely used in a variety of fields, but mainly in the military applications, being able to put out of sight people and objects. A human eye can easily see objects due to the fact that they spread the light that shines on them, reflecting a part of it back to the eye.

The invisible cover features so-called mate-materials that can redirect radar, light or other waves that strike the object, resembling water that flows around a smooth rock in a river. Meta-materials represent fusion of metal and circuit board materials, including ceramic, Teflon or fiber combination. These materials are developed to curve visible light is a special way. Researchers have the goal of using the materials to arc light around objects so they don't produce reflections or shadows.

The technology is different from stealth, which instead of making the plane invisible, simply lowers the cross-section available to radar, thus making the plane difficult to track. It would be interesting to note that the funding of the research was provided partially by the US Army Research Office and the National Science Foundation's Nano-Scale Science and Engineering Center.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Imagine covering your bocks with the stuff XD

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline PINHEAD69

Re: Scientists One Step Closer to Creating Invisibility Material
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »
imagine it in the womens showers ;-)

LOOK HERE BELOW
http://www.pinheadstraps.co.uk/
tHe BrUmMie BoUnCeRs

(TIP)
never fece yourself wearing a g-string
it makes chip shapes

Offline britishjord

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
they already invented that.. phildephia experiment.. thousands of pople saw a us ship turn invisible for about 15 seconds then turn back... lol o.j it's just an urban legend/conspiracy theroy in america... imagine haveing one of those and being like a secret agent lol... i would built a bridge and cover it in that stuff.. ( indiana jones raiders of the lost arc style lol)

good find

Offline mafiaman

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
haha both good ideas  :biggrin: :thumbs:

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:37:16 PM »
Which copy was that is APRILS.
Maybe on Star Trek where they cheet the laws of physics but not in the real world

To bend light around a 3D object you would have to know not only angle that the viewer was looking from you would have you know air density. Has no to viewers would be in the same place only one viewer could in fooled all others would notice the errors.

The only real way in make it invisbile to the naked eye would be turn the lights out ?

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
well dk nothing is impossible, as it is possible to time travel in todays world and tecnology, and it has been proven

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 05:21:29 PM »
I think this technology already exsists.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »
haha milatary use derr men are inventing it wimman are no longer gonna ahave privacy XD :haha:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
well dk nothing is impossible, as it is possible to time travel in todays world and tecnology, and it has been proven
Sorry I missed that copy of THE SPORT
And I bet they called in the 4th dimension too  :rolleyes:

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
well i could go into it but i cant be ased to on here will tell u how at cb

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »
well i could go into it but i cant be ased to on here will tell u how at cb
Your talking to someone who's worked out that theoretically a "Quantum singularity" has THREE pionts of singularity and the inside is smaller than the outside. But in working out what it would like worked out that you could never reach the center and there for nothing ever could so there could never be one in the frist place.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:42:30 PM »
you think thats mad DK, wait till i dig up the scientific theory for warp engines and faster than light speed travel.
they crazy mofo's talking about manipulating the 11th dimension, that was some mad isht

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
you think thats mad DK, wait till i dig up the scientific theory for warp engines and faster than light speed travel.
they crazy mofo's talking about manipulating the 11th dimension, that was some mad isht
11 some think it's only 10 but others think it's 26.

When the calculation is done, the critical dimensionality is not four as one may expect (three axes of space and one of time). Flat space string theories are 26-dimensional in the bosonic case, while superstring and M-theories turn out to involve 10 or 11 dimensions for flat solutions. In bosonic string theories, the 26 dimensions come from the Polyakov equation.[11] Starting from any dimension greater than four, it is necessary to consider how these are reduced to four dimensional space-time.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:30 AM »
yeah the article is even madder than that, ill find it for you.....
July 28, 2008 -- It is possible to travel faster than light. You just wouldn't travel faster than light.

Seems strange, but by manipulating extra dimensions with astronomical amounts of energy, two Baylor University physicists have outlined how a faster-than-light engine, or warp drive, could be created that would bend but not break the laws of physics.

"We think we can create an effective warp drive, based on general relatively and string theory," said Gerald Cleaver, coauthor of the paper that recently appeared on the preprint server ArXiv.org

The warp engine is based on a design first proposed in1994 by Michael Alcubierre. The Alcubierre drive, as it's known, involves expanding the fabric of space behind a ship into a bubble and shrinking space-time in front of the ship. The ship would rest in between the expanding and shrinking space-time, essentially surfing down the side of the bubble.

The tricky part is that the ship wouldn't actually move; space itself would move underneath the stationary spacecraft. A beam of light next to the ship would still zoom away, same as it always does, but a beam of light far from the ship would be left behind.

That means that the ship would arrive at its destination faster than a beam of light traveling the same distance, but without violating Einstein's relativity, which says that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light, since the ship itself isn't actually moving.

The fabric of space has moved faster than light before, says Cleaver, right after the Big Bang, when the universe expanded faster than the speed of light.

"We're recreating the inflationary period of the universe behind the ship," said Cleaver.

While the theory rests on relatively firm ground, the next question is how do you expand space behind the ship and contract it in front of the ship?

Cleaver and Richard Obousy, the other coauthor, propose manipulating the 11th dimension, a special theoretical construct of m-theory (the offspring of string theory), to create the bubble the ship would surf.
If the 11th dimension could be shrunk behind the ship it would create a bubble of dark energy, the same dark energy that is causing the universe to speed up as time goes on. Expanding the 11th dimension in front of the ship would eventually cause it to decrease, although two separate steps are required.

Exactly how the 11th dimension would be expanded and shrunk is still unknown.

"These calculations are based on some arbitrary advance in technology or some alien technology that would let us manipulate the extra dimension," said Cleaver.

What the scientists were able to estimate was the amount of energy necessary, if the technology was available, to change these dimensions: about 10^45 joules.

"That's about the amount of energy you'd get if you converted the entire mass of Jupiter into pure energy via E = mc^2," said Cleaver, an energy far beyond anything humanity can currently envision creating.

While the challenges to creating a warp drive are quite formidable, the concept is intriguing, says Tufts University theoretical physicist Lawrence Ford.

"If there are extra dimensions and we could manipulate them, that would open up all sorts of exciting possibilities," said Ford.

"I don't see this leading immediately to a warp drive, but I could see it leading to other interesting possibilities in basic scientific research," said Ford.

Cleaver agrees that the creation of a real warp drive is still far away.

"Warp drive isn't doable now, and probably won't be for the next several millenia," said Cleaver.

Dark Knight

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 12:45:30 AM »
In short the space around the object is wr***ed and the object surfs the wave at high speed, this speed need not be faster than light is fact if the object slips it could go slower than normal.
But it would need some as yet exotic matter which we don't know of and may take massive amounts of energy.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 01:38:31 AM »
i get that bit, its where they start talking about the craft not actually moving at all that starts to lose me, are they talking about the same folding space that event horizon done?

Dark Knight

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 06:37:39 AM »
i get that bit, its where they start talking about the craft not actually moving at all that starts to lose me, are they talking about the same folding space that event horizon done?
No ?
The event horizon ( the type I think your talking about ) would at best pull an oject forward to a fixed point.

Offline Carma

• Elite Member
  • As Seen On TV - The Bocking Rocker
    • Carma Pet Portraits
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 07:50:58 AM »
DK, Nero is talking about the film, where a ship creates a huge magnetic field which causes a worm hole in space. I think the idea is similar but the energy needed are is every different. Where as the theory of 'folding' space in Event Horizon is simlar to squashing it up into a wave like the earlier post I beleive the amount of energy needed for the scenario in Event Horizon would be FAR more.

The only thing is the ship in the film ended up creating a tear in space and time rather than squish it up. :)

Want to explain the name of the Event Horizon.

The Event Horizon is the 'point of no return' of a Black Hole

Offline britishjord

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 04:26:02 PM »
enough of this complecated physics mumbo jumbo ... it's obvious they just went down to hogwarts.. mugged harry potter and tok it to a lab in america

Dark Knight

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Carma no we are talking science not Si-Fi.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »
but dk u have to watch the film, as it does have a relivence to all of this

now i hope there is a geaks parts ot cb for us all to have a good chat

Dark Knight

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 07:41:06 PM »
but dk u have to watch the film, as it does have a relivence to all of this

now i hope there is a geaks parts ot cb for us all to have a good chat
I fell asleep when I went to see it, rather silly film

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »
lol looks like its me and thee toddy :P

Offline K-rock

• SkyHigh
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »
My GOD did i click on the wrong post! But seriously, this sorta stuff has my mind active for hours!

Bock 'n' Roll!!

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 12:24:31 AM »
i thought the 4th dimension was impossible?

and they wanna get to 10,11,26 ????

WTF there gonna EPIC FALE :biggrin:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)