Author Topic: Bocking Shoes (found some good ones)  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
Bocking Shoes (found some good ones)
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
Hi,

I've recently found a pair of shoes that in my opinion are excellent for use on your bocks :D

I was out on my stilts on Saturday, keeping myself marginally acceptable on them :P and instead of wearing the normal climacools (adidas) that i wear, i decided i'd wear my k-swiss Ariakes (http://www.movingformotion.co.uk/album/MovingForMotion/Ariake.jpg), a free running/parkour shoe i bought when i hadnt realised i had nowhere to do PK.

When i was out on my stilts, i found out that the rubber bumper section on the back, pushing the foot slightly further forward than usual gives a great feeling of balance and control. Just thought i'd tell people, so i'm not the only one in on the secret.

By the way, if you want to get a pair, i got my latest ones (in bright yellow  :Cbiggrin:) from foot-locker for £20, reduced from 70 :P

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
Re: Bocking Shoes (found some good ones)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
Wow great deal! Glad they're useful for something! lol. K-Swiss sent my friends
some for testing. They weren't overly impressed. Apparently they were fine in
the dry but even less grippy in the wet than most other shoes.

Thanks for sharing. ^_^ And what a bargain!
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
Yeah, mine arent too good in the wet, especially not on grass, but they're grippy as you like on smooth and dry surfaces. I like mine anyway, as they're comfy, and people stare, because they're bright yellow :P

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
Hey- nice find!
>Might have to grab myself a pair of those; especially if they're still massively reduced, like you say!

I currently use Adidas Astroturfs, which have up until now been pretty decent as they're lightweight and non-bulky.

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
Bought myself a pair of the Ariake's today from Foot Locker/..
-Bit more pricey at £30, but still a steal for what they were priced at originally.

I saw the bright yellow ones you were talking about but they didn't have them in my size unfortunately.

>Instead I got them in black/grey/white. [IMG attached]

Cheers once again for informing of this; I must say they feel very comfortable; definitely a pair to use for Parkour. Sébastien Foucan was even sponsored by K-Swiss to help develop this shoe it seems.
Can't wait to test them on bocks!

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
I hope theyre alright, i'm pretty new to bocking, but i thought, when i first put them on that there was a definite difference anyway, and i preferred it. I hope you like them too :P also, if they're not quite wide enough for your feet at first, dont worry, as with time, they ease outwards and fit width-ways better. I've got wide feet, so i get this problem a lot. Lol.

Write back, and tell me what you think, as i want to actually know that i'm not just imagining it :P

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »
hmm, i may actually have to seek out a shop that sells them, as none of the shops in guildford do shoes that have any sort of comfort for bindings etc, or one's that can even fit betwene the support bars, well except ones covered in huge brand flicks etc >.<

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:01 PM »
Heh, well ariakes are k-swiss, with the 5 stripes that they always have on the side, but i like the look of them anyway :P

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
definitely a pair to use for Parkour.

Not in this country. Apart from a few weeks of the year. Like I said before, my friends were sent some ariakes for free to road test them. They were so unimpressed they gave them away. The only guys I know who still wear them are n00by free-runners who bought them just because they were next to a picture of Sebastien Foucan (with the exception of Northeren Parkour of course ^_^) with too much money (or lovely parents ^_^).

I have to admit they look really nice though. Especially in the colour sheme you bought. Very glad they're useful for bocking. I'd probably get some if I could find them for £20. But at £30 I'd rather get some more Darts... they look chavier, but they're great! ^_^

Nice find Kaz.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:39:56 AM by Brendan (NeoNinja) »
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:25 PM »
Also, if it matters, they're good for gym use, at least my yellow ones are, as the sole is white and yellow - none-marking, so they can be used for indoor practice :P

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:05:18 PM »
Whether it's a naïve thing of new bockers to do to go out and buy them upon seeing Foucan promoting them or not, I think they're a really decent pair of shoes.

I haven't tried them on bocks yet but as stated previously, they are really comfortable. They do look pretty hot too/.

-Anyhow, it's bocking that's the main use for them so hopefully they'll prove to be good!
>Will keep you posted.....

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:39 AM »
Whether it's a naïve thing of new bockers

I meant new free-runners. Not bockers. I should have made that clearer. And no
offense meant. I only mentioned it so people didn't get them thinking they'd serve
both purposes. They're great in the dry, but not so great in the wet compared to
other brands. Anyway you're right, back to bocking.

I was waiting for bocking shoes (actually on the bocks) to take off. But I think Jason
pretty much killed any chance of that happening when he invented the MK2 Hoofy. ^_^
As far as I can tell they're the perfect solution.

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
you mean like shoes as hoof protection, neo? lol, i use that, i bought some £4 converse-alikes from Primark and shoved them on the hooves, they're really stable and dont wear down at all xD

I would buy hoofies, but they cost more, and also it was quicker to get the mini cheapy converses when they were there

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
Haha - Sweet. There's a pic of mine on here somewhere. I think it looks cool! ^_^

Offline Kazbahn

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »
I've just posted a pic of mine for everyone to ogle/laugh at, so comment away :P lol.

Offline Glasto_Bocker

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 01:52:30 AM »
Have only managed to try the Ariake's once on bocks and it was wet, but so far so good!

I think the soles are really brilliant. Also like you say, your feet do get pushed forward a little.
Because of this however, it means the shoe is longer and [depending on shoe size], harder to get through the knee bar when putting on the bocks!/.

-But yes, I'm very happy with them. Recommend them, in fact. Can't wait to try them out again when it's drier!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
Have only managed to try the Ariake's once on bocks and it was wet, but so far so good!

I think the soles are really brilliant. Also like you say, your feet do get pushed forward a little.
Because of this however, it means the shoe is longer and [depending on shoe size], harder to get through the knee bar when putting on the bocks!/.

-But yes, I'm very happy with them. Recommend them, in fact. Can't wait to try them out again when it's drier!

i'm yet to find shoes i can fit through the kneebars, have to takeoff my shoes and then put em back on again, tad annoying, but spose the new 'trainers' need the laces moving around for bocking anyways, else you get a knot pressuring on your foot

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
Same here. Another point scored by cuffs me thinks.

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
the good old bar works for me its more stable and makes me feel safer them cuffs are only made of fabric

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
I only had a problem getting my shoes through the kneebar when I had it well padded out on my last pair. I used to leave shoes in there and when I de-bocked ran around with my little odd socks :D Usually still padded up. People in tescos must have thought I was crazy..well, they would be too far wrong either :D Back to shoes. I think it is because my feet are size 6's.

@Aidan. I found the knee bar really stable and stuff, didnt ever have a problem with them, with some webbing could get them reasonably secure too but I got cuffs anyway, and now they are set up they are really nice. I dont hate the kneebar. Its fine, but the cuffs are an improvement on it, cuffs are only fabric, but they are tough and durable.

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 08:56:06 PM »
I've never been able to put my foot through without taking my shoes off
Same here. Another point scored by cuffs me thinks.
Unless you cut the front of the hoop off and clip it back inplace once you have your foot on the plate  :thumbs: