Author Topic: Bocking in the dark?  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Bocking in the dark?
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
Excuse my random topic..This has been bugging me a bit. If you could help would appreciate it a lot.

At the mo, with coursework and everything else going on I am finding it hard to make time to bock. I will only bock when it is light. I don't think I have really bocked in the dark before. I am just wondering if it's ok to do it really. In my head I think it's dark, I can't see where I am going but people must bock when it's dark in the winter. I don't know about you guys but when I leave in the winter it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home.

I have seen the various light up mods for bocks, it's not something I want to do. But anyhoo...do any of you bock in the dark? Is it OK to do so? I live out in the sticks. We don't have any streetlights or anything. In winter the crimbo lights next door light up the road tho. I still think it's probably a bit unsafe for me to bock in the dark but..would still like to hear what you guys do. I might just have to make time in the light I guess...

:spudT:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Bocking in the dark?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »
I have a lamp post almost in my front garden Spud  :Claugh: so it don't get dark here

But I have bocked in the dark but not pitch black as most places have street lighting round here and our latest member Benny has been known to bock past midnight (must to the anoyance of the odd lorry driver trying to sleep  :Claugh:)

Get yourself one of those led headlamps (some are so bright you will think its day time

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
I thought street lights were the secret! To put it into perspective; at the moment the main light source outside is split 50/50 between the security light 100m up the road and the moon. If its a full moon and clear night the moon pretty much over powers any of the little lights around. It's pretty dark here. The roads are also a bit dodgey, not quite level ect. Thats my concern really.

LED headlamp might not be a bad idea. Get a real bright one and I should be able to see what I am doing. Great idea!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
Get three and have one for you head and one on each knee

Texaco garrages were selling good ones for £3 or £4 a while back or try Aldi or Lidles

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:04:23 PM »
I bock in the dark all the time, it's probably not sensible but I'd say I've fallen over a lot more in the day time, the only I remeber falling over in the dark was on a halfpipe whilst it was wet (which was my own fault for trying to run on smooth metal in the rain). As long as you've got streetlamps you'll be fine, you don't look at your feet normally so there's no need to in the dark either. If you can see up ahead it's fine, as you can see obstacles approaching and move around them.

If you're worried, try bocking in a empty car park (e.g. if you've got any retail parks near you, or B&Q carparks are good because they're massive) as they're usually really well lit, smooth, flat and empty :)

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
well i know what spud is on about here, and there is no where that has streetlights, or even a nice big space

ill show you something spud when i next see you and i bet you will want one for night bocking

Offline Archie L

• EA Bocker
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
Get three and have one for you head and one on each knee

Texaco garrages were selling good ones for £3 or £4 a while back or try Aldi or Lidles
Get three
selling good ones for £3 or £4 a while back or try Aldi or Lidles
good ones for £3 or £4 a while back or try Aldi or Lidles
£4 a while back or try Aldi or Lidles
Aldi or Lidles
Aldi

I...Love...Aldi...

It's Cavemen vs. Gentlemen.
It's easier than it loo-
-ouch

Offline Jeeves

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:36:24 PM »
Bocking in the dark is awesome, scary at first but fun!

Ages ago me and a few WB's went up a mountain by us and had a night bock on top of it with no lights but the glow of Cardiff!

Locky even did a backflip, Sprog was there too :P

there is a vid on YT of us somewhere..........

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
Locky did a failed backflip lol and I think it was about a week after I'd first landed them.

My advice on darkness, even in low light, be careful :) The contrast changes on your surroundings and it makes things different. See...genius!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »
i've been out and about the university on bocks as late/early as 1am, it's quite dark in teh dark corners round all teh steps etc, just need to be careful and know your surroundings well enough, or take a more sensible routte round, like walking over to the concreted hill, instead of cutting throught he middle and meeting a 20 foot wide set of stairs that are bad enough in the light

...it's strange at night, it's all there, jsut looks slightly different

Offline Krofix

• Poweriser Adv. 7090
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:14:41 PM »
well i've never bocked in the winter, since i would be bocking in snow (which i want to try, i think if i could make a dry patch of gravel [my driveway] then i could launch some flips into the snow, but i dont know how riSers would react if they get wet...)

but i find bocking in the night causes me to miss judge the ground, which sucks because when i land, i either prepare to bounce too early or too late which often results in bockers back....

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Really helpful. I think I will keep an eye out for home head lamp thingies. Looks like the best option for me at the moment. Thanks Jason.

Sprog. That's the problem. There are no streetlights. The closest would be a train journey away lol and big car parks...We have none. I live in a small village. There are a few roads I bock on. There is nowhere else really. Toddy has seen it. It's wonky road or nothing.

Wow@ bocking in dark on a mountain. Thats awesome! And locky, you are right about the perspective thing. We find that pilots flare much too soon in low lighting at the airfield. I imagine it's the same thing with this. Kro, you kinda prove this. Maybe if I cant see the ground I wont have a problem :D Nothing to judge by :D

Totally get you darf. That is why I would only do it outside my house ;)

I think...I need to try this for myself. See what it is like. Sometimes I just want to be on them. If I have to go easy it's still going to be better than wishing I was out there. I would go now if I didn't have a deadline...and it's so quiet out there..would hate to break the silence :/

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:29 AM »

Garthness. Photos are on my facebook profile :)

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »

I bocked in the pitch dark on my way home from norwich the other day actually spud .... and that was on a dirt path right next to a canal --- so I was pretty scared as there was a steep hill to the right and a canal to the left ..... so if I fell, it would pretty much suck!  :Claugh:

Just a case of being careful untill you know that the surface is safe to jump on -ie no pot holes or loose stones etc --

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »
Sounds pretty dodgey Bexx! I think I am going to try night bocking tonight. The road is pretty dodgey, but I have lived here most of my life :D I know where is bad lol.

Also..that vid is nuts :D