Author Topic: Rasing the footplates  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
Rasing the footplates
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
Hello everyone!

Right as you may or may not know im a shorty  :Claugh: at 5ft 1/2(an inch)
I am wondering (jason you might have a bright idea) if the footplates can be raise to stop the metal at the top of the spring digging into my lesgs whenever i try to do...anything.
I want this as an alternative to putting wood/flipflops on your footplate to raise it (as personally i think they look silly) so if anyone has any ideas or has done this before let me know!!

oh and one other thing - who knows how to re-seal a fish tank i do vaguley but i wanna double check befor ei do anything!!
Thanks
Mini Ellis xxx

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
Re: Rasing the footplates
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »
i've seen someone who drilled another hole higher in teh frame to put the main bolt through, thereby raising the footplate an inch or so, but i think that had an effect on how the springs worked, as they were then a different height or something.

re-seal a fish tank? well assumign the glass panels are stuck together some kind of sealant down the edges would work i spose

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
yeah u run silicone down the edges i just wondered if anyone had any tips for that really lol

but i wanna know about footplates really...damn shortness =[

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:15 PM »
First Ellis
The fish tank before you do anything go to a good tropical fish shop (or similar) and make sure the sealant you use is ok for fish as a lot of the silicon sealants have fungicide in them and will kill your fish

The footplate should be easy to lift it is held on by 6 screws so all you need to raise it is a packer (timber will do) cut to the right size and longer screws
The only problem would be with the back strap fixings as this bolts through the frames and the footplate

Looking at this from another angle how thick are the soles of your trainers have a look at some of the cushioned running shoes I have seen some of them that seem to have soles over an inch thick and this could give you that extre inch you need

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
u could also try padding on top of spring or indeed, knowing where the springs hit the back of your leg, sow in some padding to a pair of shorts at the matching spot.  Un yeah  try out a nice pair of wedgy sandles.  buy stiffer springs --that u simply cant compress. A few sessions being stretched on the wrack
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:40:34 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »
I use big boots with thick soles for the same reason. Also used good garden kneeeling pads cut to the footplate shape (Stiltninja has used these)
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »
yep those garden kneeling pads r handy ---3 for £2 in ASDA I normally have 1 in the car. So cheap its throw away. Used some strips to pad out Boos knee bars on sunday ( legs so thin even pulled tite the velcro strap didnt grip)

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »
Jason - yes i will do that on the fishy tank wise £5 for a tank worth £70 is a good deal me thinks!!
Dad says remind him tommarow and he will get to it =]
hes a clever man :D
and just to add my grandad if he was still alive he would have made ma a pair of bocks as he made everything you could think of, except the spade he made weighs a tonne! but you name it he would make it.
anyhoos thanks for the info jason i might need a bit more for dad (and if you have any piccys) but thanks =]

Bbmthbloke - i am going to pad out the tops but i dont know what it will do as the metal is in the way so my legs cant accually bend enough to trick =[

Charlie B - big boots dnt work, it felt weird and the straps didnt fit too good, but i might have a play around with that idea...

Thanks
Mini Ellis xxxx