Author Topic: Deep Scratch on one of my brand-new stilts???  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Mibsportler

Deep Scratch on one of my brand-new stilts???
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
Hi!

My name is Bernhard n I'v just recently moved from Austria 2 UK (Lincoln). I wanted 2 find a means of transport 2 my training club n got inspired by u guys on utube. So I asked around n a couple of guys r doin this in Lincoln - so perfectly fine. They were nice n let me v a go on 1 of their pairs and it felt awesome (thx 2 Rick, DK and Paul)

So I wanted 1 4 myself. Unfortunately I haven't set up a bank account (I do now v 1 but the code hasn't arrived yet) n so I paid Rick and he ordered them 4 me. :Cnotworthy:

And here is how things got a bit weird:

First they havn't had M90's in stock, so he went 4 the M80.

When I got them 2day I had another more or less shocking incident: at one of my stilts there is a deep scratch exactly over the hoof where the bolt was drilled in (hope u guys know where I mean as my English is far from perfect).

So I don't know what 2 do now. I don't want 2 send them back as I want 2 go bocking this week (2morrow and on friday and saturday :PJ101Ian: :Cbiggrin:)

Maybe 1 of u more experienced guys can tell me what I shud do.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
Re: Deep Scratch on one of my brand-new stilts???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »
hi
first things first, alot of people on here dont like txt talk(E.G.  I wanted 1 4 myself)
and second i would up load a pic of it then we can help alot more as then we can see what you mean.

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08:11 AM »
a scratch? i know theres a groove on most springs in that part, you sure its not that?
like toddy said, pics for the win!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
hi, ok, i'll bear that in mind (no 1,2,4,...).

here is a picture

scratch on the spring

sry, the picture won' upload, it says :

Cannot find "http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=35"  DNS Error - Server cannot be found

I tried it several times (yesterday and today)

I'll try to get it on my profile as a picture of me

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:16:49 AM »
not working, it's a jpeg file! weird! Got to go to work, try again later at 3.

thx for the replies so far (have to get a dictionary to find out what a groove is :Crolleyes:)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Make sure the picture you upload is below 1000x1000 px. Then it should work. Other option is to just use an image hosting website ;)

:spudT:

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:23 PM »
hi i think I got it now. sry, have never done anything with pictures yet

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
That doesn't look like a scratch to me, looks like surface splintering where it's screwed into the hoof. Dont worry, the material will splinter slightly like that, it doesn't mean anything's wrong :D

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »
yeah, but isn't that worse??? :Cwideeyed:

if it's splintering, like in a windshield or every other material, it gets worse everytime u bounce/hit on it :Ceek:

so after couple of times (days, weeks, months???) it's working its way up to the top??? that wud be :Cswoon:

cause 170 bucks is quite a lot of money - at least to me. and I don;t want to rob a bank ( :Cmask:) to have enough money to buy new ones (just wanted to try out that cool smiley  :Cbiggrin:)

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
well all i can say that it does not matter too much about splitting in that direction, as there is very little force going in perpendicular(right angle) of that splinter. if it was in he other plain(across the spring) then it is time to worry

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
When i say splintering, it's no need to worry, as the spring is made up of very thin layers of material, probably thinner than the layers of your skin, and it's no need to get scared if one of the very outer layers is splintering slightly, in the same way that occasionally people get bits of skin which peel off a bit... it's fairly normal.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »
Hi Mibsportler

I have seen this on a few springs and it is normally just the surface that has splintered away when they were drilled and causes no problem at all

To be certain of this you would have to unbolt the bracket and have a look underneath to see if it is just a little splinter (This is what I would do if they were mine)

I have only seen a spring fail in this way once and that was at the top of the spring and caused by the spring breaking in the middle and even then it was still hanging together enough to be safe

If you are still worried about it PM Naz (Webmaster) on here and she will advise you further

Remember that you have a warrenty on the springs so don't worry to much but it is always wise to inform PJ about any problems so they can say use them or not

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Mibsportler

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 10:29:53 PM »
thx guys, just contacted webmaster and he/she told me it's probably fine, shud just bounce away, and that's what i'm gonna do on sunday.

thx again :Cnotworthy:

cu around