Author Topic: If there was a UK competition.....  (Read 8534 times)

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Re: If there was a UK competition.....
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
Let me draw a smiley here. :CGEEK:
One of my many other passions is rowing, and in that sport also I see the same arguments. On the one side you get the top rowers in the club who think the only thing in the sport is competing at the highest level possible and they are the only thing that matters in the sport

The reality is that they are in the minority. There are far more of us at the lower levels and happy to be there. And with out such support from the recreational / fun rowers the elitists would be so far and few between that any event would be not worth organising.

Next weekend we will be rowing in the Head of the River Race, 7km down the Thames with another 400 crews consisting of Oxford & Cambridge, Olympians, Internationals and the top rowers in the country as well as hundreds of middle aged Sunday rowers who are there for the shear fun and experience of the event. Now that’s worth driving 6 hour each way and the costs of a weekend away in the smoke (London).

Now I’m sure that Bocking is no different but with the added disadvantage that there are far fewer of us. So if you only want a serious elitist event then just organise that, it wont take much you will probable only get half a dozen attending, It could be held in someone back garden. But if it is to be a memorable event then it needs as many there as possible, hence has to appeal to ALL levels.

Yes I’d love to watch you super stars perform but only if I can play at something as well.

Yes Jason that is the sort of thing I had in mind. Something for EVERONE. :Cyes:

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »
As much as I think that bocking is most enjoyable, in my opinion, as a recreational sport, it could work in a competitive environment.
Take paintballing for example - those (like myself) who aren't great at the sport can organise a meet, shoot some paint at each other and have a good time. On the other hand, there are those who take paintballing seriously, with competitions (speedball, woodland etc).
A mix of both recreational and competitive styled events could work pretty well.

Simultaneously there could be competitive events, such as the high jumps, long jumps, sprints and long distance activities and also recreational events, such as a whacky paintabll/dodgeball on bocks or general hanging out and teaching each other new tricks.

There's a lot of opportunities out there for the sport and there will always be the competitive vs. recreational argument between the casuals and serious bockers.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
I agree with Q, would like to see an egg and spoon race :P or pin the tail on the donkey(although I am still sure I read that wrong).
But all in all I think this is a rediculous idea! I don't agree with turning it into some high end sport that everyone wants to do, There is a number of reasons for this.

1. At the moment we have a really close community, if it becomes to big, with competitions everywhere we will loose that!

2. People may no longer be into Bocking for fun, but for the prizes, although they may be nice it kinda ruins what everyone has spent so long at creating.

3. Even if you intend it to not be high endm and huge it can still ruin it slightly, even though friendly competition never harmed anyone. Alot of people can't even have a general covo on PJF without getting in a huff, let alone a large meet.

4. Competition pulls groups apart slightly, for example if you have people in one group who are of flipping everything etc. and then the others that can barely walk, then alot of the time they feel intimidated and wont try as much, but of course this can work the other way aswell and they might try more.

There is loads more, If you want them (probably not) Pm me :P

Now im getting ready for everyone to rip what I said apart :D
DC

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
I do agree with DC that if major competitions, like the X-Games, come to bocking then we run the risk of losing the tightly knit community feel. However, it would bring new players into the sport and increase popularity as a whole, much like what happened to skateboarding since the 80s or so.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
Skateboarding is completly different, Ive been brought up around skateboarding, having my brother doing it Pro and my dad very much so encouraging it :P And I believe that skateboarding has a completly different back ground, the idea behind skateboarding was always there, using wheels to gain speed (was always some dream for people) were as stilting, isnt really that sort of thing, I personally never dreamed of backflipping 4-5 foot in the air and bouncing up and down like some crazy loone :P (no issult)

So I dont believe it will take of the same, Also there is alot more skill behind skateboards, stilts are simple, it only about learning a trick, and then you've got it, skateboarding takes practise and almost 95% of the time failing. Stilting is prety much pick up and go.

DC

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 09:23:10 AM »
Yeah it's definitely true that skateboarding takes a lot of failed attempts, but when I began skateboarding I never dreamt of becoming as skilled as Burnquest or the like, I skated because some of my friends did at the time (and I stuck with it until this day. I'm not even very good!). Whenever I go out skateboarding these days, I usually take my board with me when I meet friends and just skate around them while chatting, but I'm more than happy for professionals to do their thing at the X-Games.

Except I'm not a fan of the fact that skateboarding is banned in most areas where I live, likely because of a bad name that the sport had picked up. Which I would hate to see happen to bocking, since it's something fun to pass the time doing (there are a lot worse things that one could do to pass the time, especially as a teenager).
:)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 11:42:25 AM »
I dont think there is really much arguement against an orgnaised competiton for bocking. It is going to happen sooner or later.
Every regional group has its' newbies, those who just want to mess around and those who really push themselves and learn everything they can. A competition would only strengthen that and bring people together based on their abilities being similar.

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
I agree with you, Locky. It will happen, sooner or later, so we'd may as well begin to think about it.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 12:28:21 PM »
Meh... still don't agree, Everyone will have there own opinion on it. But im definatly not into it for prize or 'fame' I just love the community and the wierd looks you get :P
DC

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »
Well in my opinion there's no reason why small communities of bockers can't hang out at the competition events and just chill out/meet new people. After all, taking the X-Games as an example again, not every spectator/visitor will be a professional skater/BMXer/etc, but they probably have an interest in the sports and partake recreationally, for fun. :)

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »
I still consider my self an older newbie, a slow learner (and a fast faller) in the bocking community.

I've been sat here reading this thread which is quite interesting.
I understand where both sides are comming from.

I personaly would prob turn up to a serious event as a spectator (with my stilts) and watch for a bit and support fellow bockers, but i think I would prob end up going off and bock off site. I know that when i see people doing back flips and tricks, its very inspirational - if i had to sit there and not bock due to lack of experience, well i probably wouldnt go. I'd rather save my money and watch the highlights via video or pics on here.
but hey, thats just me, i cant speak for anyone else on here.

The question is:  is there enough experienced people out there in the UK bocking community which will be able to uphold a serious event? - when i say "uphold" I meen it would be pointless organizing a major event and only having 10 people competing .... unless you expect a really big crowd ..?

why not get a list of all the experienced bockers together who you think would come to the serious comp ? This might give you a clearer idea

anyway - between both of your arguements - I think that you need to find a common ground... unless you dont want to listen to any of the bockers who want to have more of a "Fun" event (which is probably the majority) which is entirely up to you.

peace :)

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Bexx is spot on, in my opinion. It hadn't crossed my mind that there may not be enough competitors to hold an event, either.
Except this topic has derailed from suggesting events and has become more of discussing the logistics of holding one.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »
Ooo that is a good point, and also who would decide who takes part?

On one hand you have people like, Ian, Jon, Simeon and Peter who are in a whole league of there own and can't really improve much more. They will easily win alot of the events :S
DC

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
DC, they would easily win events where there is no competition. Bear in mind though that a big event can, and probably will, draw international attention (European competitors are most likely to attend; travelling cross European is much easier than say, from America).

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »
Fair point, although I think if its done like that it will take a few years for it to kick of fully. The first couple are likely to be more British competitors.
DC

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 02:35:03 PM »
Yep, the first few are probably going to be funky Brits and quite low key. Would be cool to get the attention of the media or something to get the word out. :P
But as I said, we're really going into the logistics of an event, which wasn't what this thread was meant to be.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
I dont think anyone is suggesting we could organise an event now, or even this year. That was never my train of thought.

DC you mention people like sim, 101 etc and I think there are probably about 15 or more people at their level, and possibly even more that we just dont know about. That's enough people to make an elite category of their own!

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
I was just thinking about an event idea. Much like with skateboarding there is a street section that's devoted to street styled lines and tricks, something similar could be done with bocking.
That is, a small area with obstacles (rails, slopes and walls) that competitors could perform flips and kicks on/over.

Just a thought.

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »
I dont think anyone is suggesting we could organise an event now, or even this year. That was never my train of thought.

so out of curiosity, what was your train of thought?

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
Just like my first post says: How people would want to do it and what sort of events, categories etc.

I do think it's important it stays fresh in our minds otherwise one day a sports promoter might come along and decide to put on a bocking competition that is a load of crap, but will probably make him money. I wouldnt want that and it would be damaging to any future endeavors. Same as the UK association really.

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
otherwise one day a sports promoter might come along and decide to put on a bocking competition that is a load of crap, but will probably make him money. I wouldnt want that and it would be damaging to any future endeavors. Same as the UK association really.

This is definitely something that I agree with you on. It would really suck for some company with bags of money to come along and change the bocking scene entirely.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
DC you mention people like sim, 101 etc and I think there are probably about 15 or more people at their level, and possibly even more that we just dont know about. That's enough people to make an elite category of their own!

I really don't agree with that, who decides if they are elite, sure the ones I mention are better than others but 'Elite' is way to far. For example we are all better in our own ways. e.g. Im better than Ian at spring grabs and split kicks (etc.) were as he is better at flips. Calling someone elite is kinda just really annoyed me (sorry)

DC

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
Well for those that excel at flipping, there could be a flipping event and for those that are good at jumping high, there could be a high jump event etc.
;)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
I really don't agree with that, who decides if they are elite, sure the ones I mention are better than others but 'Elite' is way to far.

lol nobody would decide. People choose to enter events at their own will. Elite suggests the best of the best, which would apply to that category of that event.

Offline Bacon Miller

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:43 PM »
Locky's right. In any competition, the contestants enter and the judges decide who is the best, 1337est, leetest etc.