Author Topic: Calf Cuff Bracket  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
Calf Cuff Bracket
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
Hi   Ive got calf cuffs, but Ive got the old style plastic bracket that the bars fit into. They dont seem to have enough grip and the cuff tends to splay open. Newer models seem to have a metal bracket, but i couldnt see it in the spares section.

Can they be purchased seperatly and if so where?   ta muchly in advance

Offline TOM SAVAGE

Re: Calf Cuff Bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »
ive had this problem, if you can't get a metal bracket i used a puncture repair kit for a bike and stuck it to the cuff inside where it meets the bracket, it hasnt moved since :P
if we stop bouncing, gravity wins!

Offline Chrishead

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
As far as i know you can't buy the metal bracket on its own anywhere however if you ask around someone might have a spare. The only way i know of getting one is asking skatehut who sometimes let you buy them on there own but there not stilt experts so they don't know what your talking about when you ask for the metal bracket and they often say no.

Chris.
For Sale: Paracute, Used once, Never opened, Small stain.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
PJ don't do a metal bracket Q, your best bet is to contact Skatehut and ask them about the poweriSer ones. You will be waiting a while though, they're notoriously slow. Might also be worth asking Manni if he has any 7's ones spare, although it's unlikely he will as they only come with the cuffs, you can't get them as a separate spare part yet.

It's well known the PJ cuffs don't fit onto 7League frames without the metal bracket, due to the slight difference in sizes on the bars.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »
erm  not THAT  well known hehe

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
I think you missed a topic or two last year, Q :Ctongue:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
It's well known the PJ cuffs don't fit onto 7League frames without the metal bracket, due to the slight difference in sizes on the bars.

They actually fit fine. The problem is they don't hold. The brackets on 7s are made of thinner plastic.

@Q. Its fairly well known. When the PJ cuffs were released there was a big hoo-ha about it. Most people got sorted by trip selling the brackets on their own. All gone quite now but anyway. The old PJ brackets and 7's brackets are about the same and dont work. Metal ones can be a pain to get. I asked skatehut a few times to be told they dont sell any parts. If you get stuck you could replace with newer PJ brackets.

Offline XS

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:59 PM »
supposedly you can get the metal ones from Poweriser France

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
Out of interest how much are the metal brackets on their own (assuming you can get them ) and has anyone got a picture of them

I ask due to there being lots of different types of clamps on the market and we might be able to find an alternative (or even make one)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline XS

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 06:00:26 PM »

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »
Out of interest how much are the metal brackets on their own (assuming you can get them ) and has anyone got a picture of them

I ask due to there being lots of different types of clamps on the market and we might be able to find an alternative (or even make one)

PoweriSer ones or 7League ones?

I did a few rough 3D renders of the 7League ones and the older poweriSer ones. riSer ones aren't quite right, need to be taller, but oh well, I only spent about 3 minutes on them! The new riSer ones are pretty much identical to the 7s ones in design, other than they lack the ridges on the insides.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
Thanks XS and Sprog

I'll look around but I don't hold out much hope

Offline XS

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
skips basically use a pair of U-bolts on each side, that's prolly the place to start for a DIY solution.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
Yep I've made 2 sets of them up for my walking foot pairs but making them is intensive and time consuming

I was thinking along the lines on small exhaust clamps but they all seem to be the wrong way round (S*ds law really)

I was thinking along the lines of machining up something from an ally extrusion but finishing the outer edges is what takes the time but might be able to clamp a whole set to a bar on the lathe and do them quickly

The main trouble with the skip design is that you need to make 8 clamps for a set of skips
And having done 16 I'm already sick of them   :Claugh:

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »
22 Euros isn't a lot of money...but it's a lot of money for what it is. =/
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »
Agreed Brendan

And while I remember I tried to build those wall climbing feet and the alloy I had kept either bending or fracturing
I still hold out some hope but it will need some lateral thinking