Author Topic: Spring Armour  (Read 3656 times)

Offline spawnyb

Spring Armour
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
After considering my inability to stay upright, and general clumsyness when it comes to dropping or knocking my stilts, I decided to take more extreme action that just using reels and reels of duct tape.

I would like to thank BIRT for his post in March which gave me all the inspiration and help I needed, and also KIWI's excellent pics of his similar mods.

1 x Chunky 26" bike tyre from local bike shop
2 x 99p laces from JJB sports
A tough pair of scissors and a standard 2 hole paper hole punch. 

Using the instructions from the link BIRT put up took me a couple of hours to get it done one evening.

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
Re: Spring Armour
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
i really love tyre armour, i also love the random questions people ask about it in general.
personally i prefer to thin out the tyre at the top, of the spring rather than folding it over, but either or, tyre armour rocks

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline spawnyb

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:40:36 PM »
I did think about thinning it out at the top, but thought I'd leave it for a bit.

After all can still do that if I decide too.

Hmmmmmmm........Why did I buy these again?!?!?!?

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »
Looks uber, I keep knocking the top  of my stils into the back of my legs, so might be better to fold it over for and give a bit of padding.

I've got inner tubes on atm, really want tyre armour, but this will have to wait for the time being.

:Csmile:

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »
yeah im a short arse, so the springs hit me in the back of the thigh too, i made a pad for the top spring bracket from some old thai boxing pads and electrical tape, lol now whenever i tell someone ive broke a stilt they go "oh yeah i can see the tape at the top" ahhhh joe public  :Cnah:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Birt

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
it's cool to see you used the paper punch idea but credit obviously goes to stiltmodz.com, i just tried it in my own way. yours look great, job well done!