Author Topic: HOOFS!! :(  (Read 6790 times)

Offline jumpin jak

• Flippy!
HOOFS!! :(
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
hey everyone,

just a quick shout to say,
if you use tyre socks, GREAT keep using them!
if you dont use tyre socks, MAKE SOME NOW!

ive not used tyre socks since i bought my pro jumps in january this year, and allready the rubber hooves have worn though. i was really disappointed, DONT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

in general ive been really please with my pj's and ive had no problems however i do think its a bit lacking. the hooves are very thin and if possible i think they should be improoved in some way, for example the hooves on 7's are much thinker.

ill be making some tyre socks ready for my next set of hooves. 

JJ

Offline woodsy_1984

• Love it
Re: HOOFS!! :(
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
i was wonderin how long they would last, mine have started to  wear abit only had them 2 weeks, but as long as the socks help i'll be makin my self a pair this weekend

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »
Yeah i had mine since beginning of november and apart from a few nuts coming loose my pj's are fine....until you look at the rubber feet. I was never a fan of tyre socks though....

Offline jumpin jak

• Flippy!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:35:24 PM »
neither am i, thats my trouble. it looks better without if you ask me :P

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
i had a some on a while back but they seem to wear down to quickly....ive took them off for the meet in doncaster tho  ;D
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:26:59 AM »
I used to have them on but have taken them off as they wear down too quickly, my hooves are doing fine without them. I wont be resocking, I feel its a waste of time...

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:47:01 PM »
I used to have them on but have taken them off as they wear down too quickly, my hooves are doing fine without them. I wont be resocking, I feel its a waste of time...
[/quote

EXACTLY!!!
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline Kanga Man

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »
Okay, now I don't want to be the thick one here but what the hell is a tyre sock? I've never heard of one? I agree that the pad wears down a bit quick. I was going to solve the problem by buying about 5 pairs of spare pads.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »
A tyre sock is taking the tyre from a bicycle, chopping it into a length of about 10" and wrapping it over the projump rubber foot and securing it with a jubilee clip.

Personally I think it looks terrible, almost like you broke them and this is your home-made fix.
My rubber feet lasted about 5 months and the metal is just coming through now (though I still gave them to my sister!)

Offline Kanga Man

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
Well, when I can eventually afford a new pair of stilts then I'll make some tyre socks. I wish I had known about them before because £15 per foot to replace them is ridiculous. I didn't realise they were such a bad design. Surely they can design something so you can take just the rubber pad off to replace rather then the entire metal foot.

I have to replace both of the springs on mine and the feet so buying a whole new pair would actually be cheaper. God we live in such a wasteful society though. I wish designers weren't so greedy and would design something that could not only have the parts replaced but would make it so the parts would be financially viable to replace.

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »
Thats why this model of jumping stilt is considered entry-level.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 08:12:48 PM »
@ Uncle Matt Kanga did not buy his Stilts from us ( see qoute below & he has been having a lot more problems than he should - full thread can be read here http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=484.0

Webmaster, I'll let you know what I find out about the prices. I'm getting my sister to inquire with the guy she got my stilts from. She imported them from China. I'm going to have to use tyre socks now because I can't afford £30 at the moment. I've just lost my job.

As for the spring. One was already broken when I got it. I just didn't notice until I had been on them for a while. One of the springs seemed springier then the other and has now started making a crunching noise. I suspect it is fractured and will probably split soon.

As for the size, well I am about 70 kgs and the stilts my sister got me are supposed to be for 70 kgs but I hit the max bend point on both of them. Really hard on the damaged one. I'm not going back on them until I can afford to fix them or replace them.

Offline stevie

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
a race car may cost £200,000.00  half way thrugh a race it needs new tyres, and at the end of the race the car has won but the new tyres are finished, does that mean the car is poor quality.

i think when the designers looked at the hoof they also looked at how much they would weigh, also they were originaly designed as a fun exercise mchn; as with evolution new generations will come and advance, i do know that engineers i have spoke to about this are already working on it.

this summer will see the sport grow and im working hard with sports clubs to get them involved, the response is realy good and i for one want to see power bocking grow and be a recognised sport.

Offline dragon

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 10:54:45 PM »
does any one knor what rubber the bottom bit is

i have a friend that sells glue and if we find out what rubber is he has sugetted just cutting a lump to go on the bottom and not have to do the hole jublie clip thing

i have the bike tyre and jublie clip hoof and i hace no wear on the propper hoof
but would think it would look smarter with just a sole stuck on

this is where it gets difficult if i put the wrong glue on there it could disove the original hoof (that would defeet the object)

can any one help please
thanks shaun :D
please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor me www.walkforlife.co.uk/dragon please sponsor

Offline stevie

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 11:38:46 PM »
iv just had an idea that would solve this for good, and make it easy to change the hoof, if anybody has a little money to put up as sponsorship etc, then get intouch as this could be a great thing,
  im only saying this as in the past my ideas have been passed around and not used properly, on this one i'd like to be in control to make sure its done properly.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 11:54:34 PM »
does any one knor what rubber the bottom bit is

i have a friend that sells glue and if we find out what rubber is he has sugetted just cutting a lump to go on the bottom and not have to do the hole jublie clip thing

i have the bike tyre and jublie clip hoof and i hace no wear on the propper hoof
but would think it would look smarter with just a sole stuck on

this is where it gets difficult if i put the wrong glue on there it could disove the original hoof (that would defeet the object)

can any one help please
thanks shaun :D

I'll try & find out for you :)

Offline Kanga Man

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
a race car may cost £200,000.00  half way thrugh a race it needs new tyres, and at the end of the race the car has won but the new tyres are finished, does that mean the car is poor quality.

No it doesn't mean that the car is poor quality but these aren't like that. Imagine if every time you had one of the tyres on a racecar wear down you had to replace the tyre and the entire wheel and axle it is attached to.

I'm not slating Pro Jump themselves. I'm slating the design in general. If the rubber base on these had a small metal plate imbedded in the middle of it with two screws sticking out which could be bolted onto the bottom of the foot so that it could be replaced individually. This sport is growing fast. Imagine everyone who has a pair. Now imagine the pile of feet to be thrown away if each one of them replaced their feet after their first set of hooves wore out. That is a lot of wasted metal. And the metal bit being thrown away doesn't even wear down much. Just the hoof.

Granted a tyre sock will stop the wear. I only found out about them on here. How many people out there will have a pair but will not have access to the internet, won't have found a forum of experienced people or who just don't use a computer. They will replace their feet each time. For most people it won't be much of a problem because £15 per foot is not such a great amount of money for a working person but why have so much waste if it isn't necessary.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:45:28 PM by Kanga Man »

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
I agree, on a design where they are trying to cut production costs why have the enntire bottom stilt section thrown away when the rubber wears down?

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 02:02:27 PM »
Hi guys

This has already been looked into - the new Junior models already have this implemented and the adult models will also have a similar design so you don't have to change the whole part but just the rubber.

It's nothing to do with the cost  -  it's all about design and as the feedback comes back from customers the stilts will always improve and we are always actively looking to change things to better the stilt as can be seen from the new kids models - see full thread here http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=472.0

Offline stevie

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 01:39:36 AM »
Kanga, iv tested out the screw on off hoof and i didnt like it to much as it was i little unstable, and it was able to move slightly after some heavy bocking,also the screws scr***e thrugh after a while and it becomes slippy,
               so i went back to the drawing board and i think i have the perfect answer which can be a universal part, easy to change in about 2/3 mins each stilt,
              again, i have shared many of my ideas and they have not been implicated as i would have hoped so on this one im looking for a backer/sponsor, any interested party is welcome to contact me.