Author Topic: Important, Learn to fall  (Read 3639 times)

Offline skinfullofdope

Important, Learn to fall
« on: May 17, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »
Hey hey.  It's well worth doing a few practice falls onto your safety gear whist on your pro-jumps, so that when you do actually fall, you have faith that you'll be protected, and you don't fall badly. 

Earlier today my girlfriend fell off - not particularly hard, but she fell wrong, winded herself, and started having a fit for about 20 seconds whilst making a weird noise, which wasn't good to witness atall, trust me.  She also didn't know who I was after she came round - took a few seconds for her to remember.

So learn to fall properly!

I'm not an expert, but I would suggest falling directly onto your knees, followed my your wrist guards.  Staying relaxed and trying to not to resist the fall would also be good.  I've fallen off once, and it didn't hurt atall.  I also had to do a controlled fall to see to my girlfriend whilst she was having a fit.

;D Don't have knightmares!

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
Re: Important, Learn to fall
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, I hope she is alright now. Has she had fits before this or was this her first?

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
sorry about your girlfriend dude......I try to land on my hip and wrists .....apparently joints take a long time to heal so i avoid landing on them....still whatever your comfortable with
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline skinfullofdope

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:24:40 PM »
sorry about your girlfriend dude......I try to land on my hip and wrists .....apparently joints take a long time to heal so i avoid landing on them....still whatever your comfortable with

Surely you should land on where you have protection?  My girlfriend kinda landed on her side - and that definately didn't work!  I'm positive that landing on your knees with knee pads on is far more safe - cause they are designed to be fallen on!  It hasn't caused me any pain whatsoever by falling on my knees. 

Wrists are good aswell with pads on.  Arn't wrists joints?

Matt

Offline freakazoid

• Elite Member
  • ( a insane person laughing is always contageous..)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:19:11 PM »
True they are desinged to protect....i guess its just force of habit that makes me land on my side ;D
Excue me while i try to nibble on my own ear

Offline skinfullofdope

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »
Plus if you broke your hip, I'm sure that would take ages to heal!

Offline BuzzCobain

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
i remember my first bad fall, i was on pauls pro-jumps and thought id be able to run, not a good idea, anyway, i ran down the path and tripped into the road, landed on my knees then put my hands down, that seems the best way to fall for me, i dont have any protection but im sure its not goin to be a problem, apprantly it looked like my arms were going to break though, so i think i just have to be careful.

Offline skinfullofdope

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
It is the right way to fall - get some knee and wrist pads though and you're laughin!

Offline oafc_bouncer

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »
I think your not a proper bocker until you have experienced a proper fall. unfortunately i have not.
oafc til i die.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »
That makes me an extra proper bocker! :)

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 12:22:24 AM »
me too, I have had a couple of good falls, and falling properly is the best thing to do, especially while jumping!!

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline ickle-nick

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »

I've fallen over quite a few times (also whilst cycling, skiing, drunk, ...) and I think it's just something you get used to.

One of the biggest problems is tension and nervousness. If you're tense and rigid then you're more likely to do some damage. I try to relax and just sort of crumple and roll with it.

Having said that, I'm now guaranteed to wipe out and break something  ;D