Author Topic: Pro-jump as a mode of transportation?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Sapphire

Pro-jump as a mode of transportation?
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
Hi

I live in Oxford, right in the centre. I used to cycle everywhere like everyone else living in Oxford but a few months ago, while cycling with a friend, my friend was run over and killed by a truck. I know it was an accident but I just can't bring myself to ride a bicycle again after that. So I've been looking into different methods of getting myself places which is faster than walking/jogging. Bocking caught my eyes but I'm not sure how pratical or safe it is. I'd be grateful if someone could tell me more about it and answer my questions.

1) I don't want to do tricks or anything of the sort. I just want to jog at a relatively fast pace. Is it safe to bock on pavements? How easy/hard is it to maneuver oneself so one doesn't crash into other pedestrians?

2) How stable is jogging gently while wearing pro-jumps? Does one fall over a lot? Or is it a bit like cycling that once you know how to cycle, you hardly ever fall over although it does happen?

3) How tiring is it? Can one bock for, say, 5 miles with relative ease? I'm relatively strong. I swim regularly and run for a mile every other day.

4) Oxford pavements can be quite uneven (extremely high heel unfriendly!). In some bits, there are pebbles embedded in concrete. Is it safe to bock over these areas?

5) Unfortunately, Oxford is part of England and thus wet for most of the year. If it's drizzling with rain, can one bock safely at a low speed if care is exerted?

6) This is a rather silly question. But if I do buy pro-jumps, I won't want them to get stolen. How big are these? I have a suspicious feeling that they'll be too big to be put away in a locker. If that's the case, can I lock them up using a bicycle lock?

Thank you so much!

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
Re: Pro-jump as a mode of transportation?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »
They are NOT an effective mode of transport, they a purely a toy. Jogging 5 miles on these will be nearly impossible, I have been using mine for about 8 months and I wouldn't be able to do that. Running in the rain is a really bad idea! Trying to change direction especially at speed will be very difficult. I wouldn't advise you getting them unless its just for fun.

Offline Drezta

• bock mosh pit anyone?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:24:08 PM »
i can 2nd that, i just walked 3km to town and then back again over lots of hills and i am f***ing exhausted

(wow my first sig...)

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
3) How tiring is it? Can one bock for, say, 5 miles with relative ease? I'm relatively strong. I swim regularly and run for a mile every other day.

4) Oxford pavements can be quite uneven (extremely high heel unfriendly!). In some bits, there are pebbles embedded in concrete. Is it safe to bock over these areas?

5) Unfortunately, Oxford is part of England and thus wet for most of the year. If it's drizzling with rain, can one bock safely at a low speed if care is exerted?

6) This is a rather silly question. But if I do buy pro-jumps, I won't want them to get stolen. How big are these? I have a suspicious feeling that they'll be too big to be put away in a locker. If that's the case, can I lock them up using a bicycle lock?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  :(

3) Like the others say 5 miles is along way true but if you have stronge legs like you say then shorter distances is maybe hard but not impossible in time :-\

4&5) The Hoof (foot) is not very big and needs a good grip and unless you have been bocking for some time bocking in the wet in a bad idea.

6)If you look in the 'GALLERY' pictures you'll see that they are about the size of your, there are a number of holes where a good stronge chain can go if you have to leave them out in the open !?

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »
Never leave them locked up by a bike chain bikes get stolen so a pair of pro jumps attached to a bike chain will just be asking for them to be stolen, running in the rain even for experienced bockers is basicly stupid.

turning at speed is also not very easy, jogging 5 miles on them would basicly be impossible (at first) the extra weight would mean running would become harder they can be quite weighty after wearing them for long periods of time.

bocking on pavements is safe but un even or wet paths are dangerous even the tinyest stone can catch you off gaurd and have seriously bad results i wouldnt recomend them as a transport mode ust purely for fun