Author Topic: getting paid for bocking  (Read 18157 times)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
getting paid for bocking
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
I have ben asked by a couple of organisations if I can Bock or supply bockers for events.

I have no idea what the going rate per hour is so if any of you guys can tell me what you think or what in your experience you have been paid it would help.

incedentally I will possibly  be looking for 5 bockers for two days at the Lincolnshire Show
Grow old disgracefully

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
Re: getting paid for bocking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
well it would have to be above the min wage so it is over £5 odd

i would be up for it, be some great fun i think

but the easyest way fo doint it is see what they will offer and then take it from there

Offline carlgreen

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for backFLEEP!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »
well i would be up for it but...what sort of thing do they want flips and stuff i cant do yet :(

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »
Interested, as are i suspect the rest of the sky high.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
I'm not posting on  here what we charge =P

I'll pm you.

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:51:17 AM »
I would be up for that, If in not at work, when are the dates?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
I would do it but I am not sure that the pay would even cover travel costs but if they do then maybe so

:spudT:

Offline rickbicker26

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
if the lincolnshire show is anything to go by it will most likely rain for both days :haha:

Offline stevie

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
Charlie, it would be good to have a standard fee, stilts is classed as one skill, stunts another, i am always meeting circus performers and agents who tell me this, ther seems to be at the moment 3 rates, most i meet at shows tell me they work for no less then £250.00 a shift, but i get many enquiries every week, and when i mention £250.00 i don't hear from them again, and yet circus performers that we meet look down on us if we do it for less,

if you do a job free ie voulunteer, all performers take offence and say they have been done out of a job,its crazy i know, but true,

the average agent will charge an event £150.00 and exp; and keep about £30.00 even more in the name of comision or costs, we have learned the hard way,but even asking for £150.00 is hard to get, and again when you meet pro performers thay laugh if you say your doing it for less than £150.00

i am always telling the guys n gals in our team, they are worth more than a mere £150.00/250.00, its there life on the line whilst performing stunts etc, thats why i say it would be great to have a standard rate that everyone respected, then ther would be no under cutting etc,

pm me if you require any help.

Offline Joe Legg

• What goes up! Must come down!
    • www.PushYourLimits.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 02:44:21 PM »
this is something i was inturested in since i would like to go a bit of money now and again for doing stunts on my bocks. but i dont know where to go to look for jobs or how much to charge?
im not really in a place to charge people so i really take what i can get.

but also can i do performances on my own? as there isnt many bockers in my area.

Im not sure how i go about this really.
so any help would be great.

E-Mail: joe@pushyourlimits.co.uk
Latest Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3mB5yxMHjE

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
I would do it but I am not sure that the pay would even cover travel costs but if they do then maybe so

When I've went to fair/fates with my aerobic team we'd get in for free ( goes without saying ) to see the show some of these places charged £10 per person !

A bit off topic but when I've gone to interviews for TV programs they ask how far we would be traveling and cost and would cover these cost !

If someone ask for you it would only be fair to cover the travel cost too but if it a case of any bocker then all you could ask is a fee !?

Should they ask for a group and pay as a group if some do more than others then it would be up to the group the share the fee out  8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:25:04 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
Yea just a fee. Thats the thing. I would like to go just for the meet but getting to licolnshire is expensive and not all that easy with a car. It would cost me at least £50 to get there and I really cant justify that in my head..but if it was to cost less...to a point I could justify the money (the meet itself jusifies the travel time) then I could do it.

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
There is one thing in our favour !?
There's not many of us about ( for now ) so being rare they have to take that into acount  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:37:27 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 04:32:20 PM »
There is one thing in our favour !?
There not many of us about ( for now ) so being rare so they have to take that into acount  ;)

Have to see wont we  ;)

Offline stevie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »
Soul Rancher, in your case, from what i have seen on vid and heard, you are very talented, so finding work should be prety easy, its a shame you don't live near us, or you'd be working non stop with us, when you come up to the gym i will defo have a chat with you about this,

the only advice or coment i can give to people wanting to earn pay for bocking is, as in our case, people have been performing for some years and there is more to it than just bocking, it has to be made into a performance, people pay good money to learn at circus and performing arts school just as i did,so they expect to be paid for there services, i have seen so many times bockers turn up at a gig, they may be good at bocking stunts, but are not multy skiled, so when it rains or have to go on a slipy stage,what can they do, this is by no means an insult, remember i am a bocker,  

if you are serious about it, try performing arts training, i can recomend many good schools around the uk, i to am a performing arts coach, and i teach multy skills, i can then recomend you to agents some of who you can trust, but for certain agents your skill level has to be very high as a performer not just bocking,
Simon Cowel said to me, the bouncy stilts look great, but after a while it gets boring to watch, this is not to read as nagative, just my advice to those who want to take up performing, its great fun, interesting, fulfiling, and could be a full time jub, with not very high pay, but realy high rewards.

if your interested in learning or progresing as a performer, feel free to contact me and il try and point you in the right direction.

Offline stevie

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
I would just like to say, i don't usualy post so much, but im still of my stilts with this hairline fracture in my hip, so i promis as soon as im back on my bocking, i won't post such long replies etc,lol,

its doing my head in being of my stilts, maybe another week, and woopeee, so if im boring you all with my replys, im soooorrrrrrrryyyyy, please understand that the forums keep us involved when we can't bock.

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »
Stevie

Thanks for the posts, very informative will probably talk to you about this more in person.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline acroair

• acroair.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »
just read ya post clive , and would be able to attend at the lincolnshire show,

so if you want me ? could ya let me know ?

cheers

chris

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »
Um just a small point but everyone we have done any work for has insisted that we are covered by PLI, but I've no idea if Clive is talking about a one off gig or future work.

Dark Knight

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
If you need numbers to just be seen on the two days then I could be there  :thumbs:

Offline stevie

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »
Charlie thats cool mate,
 Reon was on my pc, as i was trying to post nevermind lol,

hopefully il be back on my stilts next week then i won't have time for all these long posts etc, lol bet you can't wait, i can't, lol,

i have lots of ideas, but last year i put it all on the back burner, with one thing and another,

just one thing, most people know and its been talked about here before, there are many more people with Bocks that are not on the forums, than are, they are trained performers,i have met many and most are very highly skilled, they dont see it as a sport, but an Art,

they are not realy interested in the forums, although some of us on here have tryed to promot the forums to them and few come on from time to time,

the only thing they don't like about us, and not in a nasty way,  is that we will work for a lower rate than they would,and some of us do free events, to us its great fun, and promoting the sport, whilst to them its keeping  a trained performer out of work,and most of them were using stilts/bocks, before powerbocking was born, and to them its a living, the people i have met realy do respect the talents of the powerbocker/us,

there is a way to solve this and then everyone will be happy, i'l have a good chat next time your at the gym, etc.

ps, as Locky stated, PLI is a must for performing, payed, or free work,

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:51:06 PM by stevie »

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 01:11:04 PM »
Charlie I'm up for lincolnshire, i sent a pm. :)

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
ive only read sum of it but

why dont u charge diffrent rates for diffrent levels of stunts

like 5 pound for simple grabs

and like 7-8 quid for back flips and front flips and amazing things

then theres a price range :nana: :thumbs:

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Kiola

• Elite Member
  • Nuttier than Squirrel Poo..
    • www.SimeonKiola.com
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:32 PM »
ive only read sum of it but

why dont u charge diffrent rates for diffrent levels of stunts

like 5 pound for simple grabs

and like 7-8 quid for back flips and front flips and amazing things

then theres a price range :nana: :thumbs:

Picking this thread up again..

You mention charging for levels of Grabs or more hard tricks at a higher rate.. this isnt really do-able because if you do a Job then you put your all into it.. You dont go at a lower rate and refuse to do anything better than a heel grab.. its unprofessional and can be seen as a little rude

You promote your team as the best it is..

so you say we do somersaults and Death defying stunts.
Or say what the best stuff you can do is.. then the person booking you can decide weather they want you bewsed on what the bes tthing you can do is..

and aidanh1.. if you read a little more you would realise that working as a performer isnt something you charge 'Per Hour' More like 'Per Day - Per show'

SO; for a group steve mentioned you should earn at least what your worth. Some work for £50 when there desperate for work. But as top class performers you should be asking for around £200 each per night/day PLUS Travel expenses.

I hope i made myself clear on what i meant lol.

New Vids;
The London Eye - By SimeonKiola
First Class - Car Flip Show 2013
Simeon Kiola 2012   

Currently Working Full time Self Employed International Stilts Acrobat/Entertainer

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »
and aidanh1.. if you read a little more you would realise that working as a performer isnt something you charge 'Per Hour' More like 'Per Day - Per show'

SO; for a group steve mentioned you should earn at least what your worth. Some work for £50 when there desperate for work. But as top class performers you should be asking for around £200 each per night/day PLUS Travel expenses
Agreed, when I was doing entertaining, if it was like a 2 hour job it would be about £90-120 (£30-40 each for the 3 of us - we were only 15 so it was good money lol) plus travelling expenses, if they wanted all day (about 10am-4pm) it would be in the range of £300-500, depending on the job and what they wanted.

Only time we ever bumped the prices up was when we did one job at Sandbanks (it used to be the 4th highest value place to own a house per square foot in the world), we charged £1500 for a 3 hour job and they paid it. It was mad, all we did was a workshop and a show... and it was only a 15min drive from my house ;D