Author Topic: DIY First Aid  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
DIY First Aid
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
How does everyone on here cure there aches and pains

We all fall or pull muscles while bocking so I thought what do we all do afterwards

So to start the ball rolling I have found a great ointment to easy the pain and bring out the bruises quick it's called Tiger Balm and you can get it in most good chemists or big supermarkets.It's a bit like ralgex (the hot stuff)  in a rub on version and for me works a lot better

I also get cramp after a good session and have found that replacing body salts and elactrolites helps (the cheepest way I have found is Dioralite) and of course a banana seems to hel (but I have to eat it just after the session later doesn't seem to work)

What other tips and tricks do you lot have to take the pain away don't worry if you think everyone knows it as I might not and I need all the help I can get with injurys  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
Re: DIY First Aid
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Hot bath solves anything!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:02:38 PM »
Yay go tigher balm. Works great. I always get loads home from thailand. So cheap there :D I am alergic to ralgex LOL.

erm...I dont ever take painkillers. havnt in years apart form on about 2 occasions.

Pain in most cases mean you are doing something wrong your body doesnt like. Sometimes it is a good thing sometimes not. See it as a warning..as far as I see it, if you take a painkiller you are just ignoring a sign..listen to your body :)

But seriously a hot bath, tiger balm and a good kip does it for me. Also drinking. I very rarely feel thirsty so somedays dont drink (oops). And I pay for it with a splitting headache. Down 2 pints of water and usally sorted.

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »
well i find the other type of drink helps (when kelly is not hitting me)
but i am normally good with ack and pain i dont get much except for some cramp at night, now that is a bugger

Dark Knight

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:35:02 PM »
Most balms are rubish the only "heats" the skin. The rubbing in help more !? I took a classes and a massage is much better.
Same can go for a pulled musscle ?
Cramp is when the musscle goes in to a painful spasm. Some poeple say stretching helps other say contracting helps ? Oddly I say leave it where it hurst least !?
If a musscle as gone into a spasm it doesn't matter if you drink a gallon of water it would take time to reach the musscle.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:48:12 PM »
ooh I remember something lucman once did when he got a cramp...well actually somebody else did it for him. He got somebody to manipuplate and move that muscle a lot. It worked too. they said they did it after a couple of days hard parkour and tricking when thier muscles felt dead and it revived them for the day.

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »
Not sure why the banana would help with your aches and pains Jason. But it is a fantastic idea to replenish glygogen stores. Epecially if you intend to bock in the next couple of days. Immediately after exercise your ability to resynthesise glycogen remains at a heightened state, so eating high glycemic index foods within the first hour of completing exercise will replenish your glycogen stores more effectively than the hours following this initial period. Cornflakes are another great choice. But the banana needs to be really ripe, or else the body finds it difficult to digest and make use of it. Because unripe bananas are so starchy.

As for your aches and pains, I assume you're mostly talking about DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) rather than bruises. :D For this, prevention is way better than cure. I know it's boring but you need to stretch properly! Stretch before bocking to prevent injury, and stretch after bocking to avoid DOMS.

And as mentioned above, the hot bath helps a lot. You might want to change it up with hot and cold baths. Cold to reduce initial swelling, the heat to increase blood flow. :)

Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Wally247

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:09:58 AM »

So to start the ball rolling I have found a great ointment to easy the pain and bring out the bruises quick it's called Tiger Balm and you can get it in most good chemists or big supermarkets.It's a bit like ralgex (the hot stuff)  in a rub on version and for me works a lot better

I hate to ruin things for people but if you look on the back of the Tiger Balm jar (im assuming its still the hexagon shapythingy) it actualy contians REAL TIGER and has just been outlawed by the EU and posibly a few other non EU countries. Unfortunatly this means that it should soon be coming off shelves in the UK. Which is a real shame a it workes miricals lol  :-[

deep heat any one???

oh and having a steem in like a steam room works as well also tress relaxing  :biggrin:

:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »
deep heat any one???
I just like the smell.... :-[  ;)  :D

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »
Oh my god! Poor Tigger! :( You guys suck! (apart from those who didn't know). :(
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
I didnt know but i'm still gona use it. But yes I agree with taking it off the shelves. But you knwo. I cant rescue the tiger from them little jars in my room.

deep heat any one???
I just like the smell.... :-[  ;)  :D

I hate the smell. Stinks of football. I remember my dad used to play nasty pranks on his football mates. Things like cutting ends off socks and putting deep heat in peoples pants. That gotta hurt!

EDIT: LMAO! JASON! Tiger balm has no tiger in it! Not even tested on animals! Wind up!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:58:25 AM by Spud »

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »
EDIT: LMAO! JASON! Tiger balm has no tiger in it! Not even tested on animals! Wind up!
LOL Spud ! Next you'll say fish fingers don't contain fingers  ;D

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 10:27:58 AM »
LOL Spud ! Next you'll say fish fingers don't contain fingers  ;D

It's true! They dont!  :biggrin:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »
Yes folks I did read the back of the jar  :haha:

And no Tigger to be found just lots of hot and minty things and it works for me  :banana: I even like the smell (really chemical  :thumbs:)

The bananas are for the Cramp in the big muscles in my legs which normally occurs if I have been lazy for a while and gets me much later normally when I'm in bed  :biggrin: (bananas contain a high level of potassium meant to be good for stopping cramp )

Yes I should stretch before (and after) but I'm like every one else just lazy  :biggrin:

And after bocking my choise of snack is bad for me Chocolate and lots of it (thats why I am the size I am  :biggrin:)

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »
YAY! :D Happy Tiggers! :D Glad to hear it. :D

I too eat masses of chocolate ;D ...but it seems to work for me so I'm not stopping! :) lol.

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »
Mmmm...Lucozade Sport....Warming up and down before and after a sesh will help stop muscle strains. For bruising,an ice pack,warm shower and then a liberal coating of Arnica cream. You can get Arnica tablets as well. I've got a slipped disc in my back(probably should'nt bock but I try not to let my injury restrict me) and if I get pain there,a c*cktail of Deep heat and Ibruprofen gel applied locally once a day fixes me up in about 48 hours.  For cramp, this one always works for me,a small pinch of good ol' Sodium Chloride and a gulp of H2O! Broken bones? A & E is always the best place to be for those!!!! :o :o Bananas give me a headache.... :biggrin:

Nobby
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:52:22 PM by Nobby »

Offline tom951guitar

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:39 PM »
anything strongly alcoholic should work  ;) you know it does

tom :)

Offline Shyatt

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 11:14:15 PM »
anything strongly alcoholic should work  ;) you know it does

Well, this only works if you sit still for the duration of your drunkenness...
If by chance you decide to dance, then prepare to feel like hell in the morning ;)

I'm proud that i managed to get a rhyme in there. I'm easily amused.

Shyatt ;D

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 11:51:05 PM »
LOL....You live in Dunstable,you must be VERY easily amused Shyatt! :biggrin: :banana:

Offline Shyatt

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 11:55:21 PM »
VERY fair point there Nobby.
Dunstable sucks.
That's why i have to amuse myself...
 :D

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 12:10:40 AM »
I can see why you have bocks Shyatt....Next time I visit my pop I'll bring my springs....Oh jeez....got me going on the rhymes now!!! :biggrin:

-Nobby

Offline Shyatt

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 01:04:49 AM »
Well i shall look forward to that then :D

Rhyming is fun!

My philosophy...
I wouldn't say i'm childish, I just don't see the point in not finding fun things fun any more. ;D

Offline Nobby

• Gravity works....
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:56 AM »
Good outlook bud...Same as mine! 39 in a coupla month's time....Peter pan's my hero! Life's too short for "Growing up".... :banana: :biggrin: :thumbs:

Offline Shyatt

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 01:14:01 AM »
Well bocking certainly does help you "oldies" to take one last grasp onto your youthfulness ;)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
You young ones grasp every experience you can before you sieze up !!!!

Definition of health "waking up pain free and a) Knowing where you are b) being dry"

its a senior citizen moment
Grow old disgracefully