Author Topic: What do you say to Bambies  (Read 4135 times)

Dark Knight

What do you say to Bambies
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »
I've often been asked is it hard to learn ?
I've help the odd Bambie take their first steps.

Because of the weight of a stilt and the fact the spring bends even if you just walk I always describe the first feeling of Bocking as

" Wearing a heavy boot in wet sticky mud "

And I describe the feeling of going faster like.

" Running over an invisible mattress 2 foot off the ground "

How would you describe their first walk and runs ?

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
Re: What do you say to Bambies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:17:57 AM »
i would never EVER EVER call em bambi's thats for sure, and only big people will have the springs bend when they first get on their stilts

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:33:13 AM »
:D i liek the matress comparison, i jsut say it's like trampolining with ankle weights...and you have to land on your feet...and the springs are stiffer

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »
i would never EVER EVER call em bambi's thats for sure, and only big people will have the springs bend when they first get on their stilts
We had a heavy person on a light weight springs at the weekend and he was bending the spring.
If your let a heavier person try a on your stilts over loading the springs OK to a point as they will not be trying big bounces !

Has for calling them Bambies ..... maybe it's because I'm big that I can get away with it but they understand what it means when their legs wobble ( Like bambie ).

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
yeah i suppose if your giving people stilts that are well under their weight they will bend, i use m110 and can say 99% of people i have let have a go never got them to bend a bit.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:39:36 PM »
I got M80's, when i weigh 70 kg or less(it varies daily), but even when i first used them, it was weird feeling the spring compress underneath me. Hah,

As for what to say to bambies, just say to them how easy it is to learn, and force them to walk on their own/with a wall as soon as possible :P

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »
We had one lad at the Lincoln " Try a sport day " jumping a beam in half an hour !

I was just wondering how other people describe the Bocking to learners ( Bambies ).

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
You know what I say to people, give it a go and see. Soon as you start describing it they can start thinking negatively towards it. So just strap 'em in and let them describe it to you!

If they really want to know tell them it's fun, easy to get the hang of an that you will be there supporting them.

I don't really like the use of the word "bambies" here. Not a great fan of lables, its not hugely negative but it's judging and branding so, meh I dont like it. Besides, they are people trying bocking, nothing more, if they have just got their bocks then they are bockers. They may be noobs and want support but there are no levels. A bocker is a bocker is a bocker.

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 08:46:41 PM »
You know what I say to people, give it a go and see. Soon as you start describing it they can start thinking negatively towards it. So just strap 'em in and let them describe it to you!

If they really want to know tell them it's fun, easy to get the hang of an that you will be there supporting them.

I don't really like the use of the word "bambies" here. Not a great fan of lables, its not hugely negative but it's judging and branding so, meh I dont like it. Besides, they are people trying bocking, nothing more, if they have just got their bocks then they are bockers. They may be noobs and want support but there are no levels. A bocker is a bocker is a bocker.

:spudT:
I don't believe some lables ?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
What has that got to do with the price of eggs? I dont understand anyway, if you dont like lables them dont use 'em

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
I take it you mean bambi like the baby deer learning to walk? :Cnah:
If so, plural is Bambis, not Bambies :P

Because of the weight of a stilt and the fact the spring bends even if you just walk I always describe the first feeling of Bocking as
" Wearing a heavy boot in wet sticky mud "
Clearly the springs they were on were either pretty much dead, or under their weight. It's more like just wearing heavy boots. Sticky mud creates a vacuum which sucks your feet in, Bocks don't have that effect.

Simple answer "No it's not hard, come along to this and you can have a go"

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
The people in the gym are bigger than me and I meant more in the fact they sink ( when over weighted ) down when walking even on my M110's.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:31:40 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 09:53:08 PM »
I wouldn't want to be you next time you go to the Gym DK  :Claugh:

You might want to edit that last post unless you intended to say everyone at the gym   "Stinks"    :Claugh:

Think you might be bouncing slightly higher than normal if they thought you ment it  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
I wouldn't want to be you next time you go to the Gym DK  :Claugh:

You might want to edit that last post unless you intended to say everyone at the gym   "Stinks"    :Claugh:

Think you might be bouncing slightly higher than normal if they thought you ment it  :Cbiggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:
Don't think I'd be bouncing higher   :Ctwitcy:

Offline lynch

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »
lol i just saw this thread and though wow bambie was the nick name i got en i first started bocking i got it when i was on essex jam with my scouts and i wasnt aloud to walk till i could get up on my own from the floor lol

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
lol i just saw this thread and though wow bambie was the nick name i got en i first started bocking i got it when i was on essex jam with my scouts and i wasnt aloud to walk till i could get up on my own from the floor lol
You didn't mind being called Bambie ?
I was at a meet last year when this girl was learning and as I watch her legs wobble I thought of the scene from Bambie, it's just a way of calling a learner til the stop wobbling all the time :)